we're now in an age of online interactive networking and online marketing. In the digital world it's referred to as “Web 2.0″and now we're heading into the “Web 3.0”. Technology. You can not only target your customers using traditional forms of advertising, now you can also reached them consistently through various social media tools. These mediums are used as platforms in which to communicate a message to your target market by ensuring the relevant factors about your brand, product or service to your customer and the value it provides them with. Such mediums can also be used as a marketing measuring tool to track positive or negative feedback of the product or service that you're promoting.
By defining your goals using Social Media platforms is the first step to being successful! Here is an in-depth statistical analysis on two of the most important social media platforms you can use to successfully communicate with your Target market:
History of FaceBook
One of the most prominent platform for social media marketing is FaceBook. FaceBook was born in Harvard dorm room under the aegis of Mark Zukerberg and co- founders Dustin Moskovitz, Chris Hughes, Eduardo Saverin. Since it’s launch way back in February 2004, FaceBook has come a long way and today captures a major share of social media networking site usage. FaceBook is a social utility that helps people communicate more efficiently with their friends, family and coworkers. It facilitate the sharing of information through the social graph, the digital mapping of people’s real-world social connections. Anyone can sign up for FaceBook and interact with the people they know in a trusted environment. it's one of the most-trafficked sites in the world today.
On 28 October 2003, while trying to distract himself from the fact that he had just been dumped, Harvard sophomore Mark Zuckerburg, created a type of "Hot or Not" website for Harvard Students which he named Facemash. The site showed two random pictures of Harvard undergraduates, and allowed users to vote on who was better looking. Harvard quickly shut down the site, and it emerged that Zuckerburg had hacked into secure parts of the Harvard computer network in order to find these photos. He was subject to a disciplinary hearing, and narrowly managed to escape expulsion.
Later that year, Zuckerburg created...
Important Statistics about FaceBook
Current statistics for FaceBook reveal that:
- More than 500 million active users
- 50% of active users log on to the site in any given day
- People spend over 700 billion minutes per month on FaceBook
- More than 35 million users update their status each day
- More than 60 million status updates posted each day
- More than 3 billion photos uploaded on the site each month
- There are over 900 million objects that people interact with (pages, groups, events and community pages)
- More than 30 billion pieces of content (web links, news stories, blog posts, notes, photo albums, etc.) shared each month
- More than 3 million active pages
- More than 1.5 million local businesses have active pages
- More than 20 million people become fans of pages each day
- More than 5.3 billion fans are created by Pages
- Average user has 130 friends
- Average user sends 8 friend requests per month
- Average user spends 55 minutes on FaceBook
- Average user clicks the Like button on 9 pieces of content each month
- Average user writes 25 comments on FaceBook content each month
- Average user becomes a fan of 4 pages each month
- Average user is invited to 3 events per month
- Average user is a member of 13 groups
- More than 70 translations available on the site
- Top countries using FaceBook are US, UK, Indonesia, Turkey, France, Italy, Canada, Philippines and Mexico
- More than 100 million active users currently access FaceBook through their mobile phones
FaceBook promotion can be carried out via fan page promotions, pay per click advertising, profile promotion, contests, quizzes, giveaways, online coupons and sweepstakes. If handled by professionals, FaceBook promotion can do wonders to build your brand name and shoot up your sales. With the demographics data at your disposal, you can do a thorough trend analysis and online market survey to target age groups and locations that'll give your business maximum leads and growth potential.
History of Twitter
Initially, code named Twttr, inspired by Flickr, Twitter privately appeared in March 2006. Later, in June 2006, it was launched for public with the name Twttr.com and rebranded to Twitter.com later in October the same year. Twitter is a real-time information network that connects you to the latest information about what you find interesting. it's an online application that's part blog, part social networking site, part cell phone/IM tool, designed to let users answer the question “What're you doing?”. Users have 140 characters for each posting (or “tweet”) to say whatever they care to say. In terms of online traffic density and visit frequency, Twitter leads the breed of social media sites.
Important Statistics about Twitter
Recent statistics for Twitter stand as follows:
- More than 175 million accounts
- Number of Twitter users increases at 300,000 everyday
- 3 Billion requests each day generated by 180 million unique visitors
- 95 million tweets per day, that gives circa 640 tweets per second
- Twitter’s search engine gets 600 million queries every day
- Thursday and Friday are the most active days on Twitter
- 10-11pm is the most active hour on twitter
- Top languages used are english, portugese, japanese and spanish
- Top countries using twitter are US, India, Japan, Germany, UK, Brazil, Canada, Indonesia, Australia and Spain
- More than 70,000 applications have been created using Twitter API
- More than 67% of Twitter messages are in the form of user’s current status, private conversation and links to news and blog articles
Social media penetration with Twitter has the maximum impact. However, it's mandatory to design a proper roadmap for social media marketing using Twitter. An appealing background with dynamic images and colorful theme can help your site become cynosure of the social media frenzy online crowd. Regular tweets consisting of valuable information about business deals, product launches, special discounts, business updates, seasonal offers and other attractive plans can be marketed virally with great results via Twitter.
For more information and insight on Social media optimization using FaceBook, Twitter, LinkedIn, MySpace, YouTube and other social media sites visit – http://www.bd360.ca/web-development/digital-marketing.html
I am a Business Development Manager at BD360. BD360 is a one-stop marketing production house offering a diverse range of online and offline... (Bio)